I don’t like Mondays.
There. I said it.
No offense to Mondays, or those who enjoy them, but they are just not for me.
I would much rather have an extra Sunday. Another day to relax and play with my kids. Maybe read a little more of the book I started several months ago but have yet to finish.
But instead there are lunches to pack and kids to drive to school and laundry to do.
Yeah, Mondays kind of suck.
A muffin might make it better. Not just any muffin though. An apple muffin with a brown sugar icing. A muffin that is more like a cake but I want to eat it for breakfast so I call it a muffin. With a large cup of coffee. Yes, I think that might actually get me through the day.
Well, maybe not the whole day, but definitely a better part of the morning.
Apple Muffins with Brown Sugar Icing (makes about 32 muffins)
2 cups Brown Sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
3 large eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
3 cups peeled, finely chopped apples (about 3 large or 5 small)
* Pre-heat oven to 350. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
* Toss apples in a bowl with cinnamon and set aside.
* Mix sugar, oil, applesauce, and eggs on medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
* Add flour, baking soda and salt to wet ingredients and mix well.
* Stir in apples.
* Fill cupcake tins about 2/3s full and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
* Cool completely before adding icing.
Brown Sugar Icing
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 tbsp evaporated milk
1 cup powdered sugar
* Combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until bubbly and butter is completely melted.
* Reduce heat to low and add powdered sugar. Mix until smooth.
* Poor about half a tablespoon of icing onto the center of the muffin and using the back of the spoon spread to the edges.
**Caution this icing is very hot, so be careful!
Happy Monday, have a muffin.